: A campaign is a planned and organized way to try to achieve a goal.
- Campaigns help to create a roadmap for trying to address an issue.
: Organizing a campaign is useful for a group that is ready to take sustained civic action to address a specific issue such as stopping the closure of a hospital or widespread illegal evictions.
- Anyone can organize a campaign. The success of the campaign will depend on how well members of your group can work together and get broader support from the community!
: Suggestions for organizing a successful campaign.
Why it's useful to organize a campaign
- Map out a roadmap:
- Decide what you want to try to achieve. For example, more affordable transit in Scarborough.
- Ask yourself, what needs to happen to achieve this goal? What is the key to achieving this goal? City council needs to vote in favour a motion that grants free transit to all TTC passengers. This requires a majority vote so specifically, 14 votes among City council need to agree with the motion.
- Who can help you to achieve this goal? Sympathetic city councillors and sympathetic individuals and groups like transit advocacy organizations, student organizations, seniors’ coalitions, etc.
- How do you achieve the goal? Ask community members to call their city councillors to let them know they support
- What specific actions will you use and when? Create postcards in multiple languages about the motion and hand them out at bus stops in the morning during busy hours.
- Tips: Dos & Don’ts
- DO have SMART goals: Be Specific, Have goals that are Measurable, Take steps that are Attainable, Work on actions that are Relevant and be Time-oriented in order to work efficiently.
- DO use good community outreach and organizing practices.
- DO support each other as a team.
- DON’T expect to reach your goals in one event or one activity.
- DON’T focus on what you can’t do – keep an eye what is possible.
- A campaign is a systematic and strategic way to try to achieve a goal. It provides clear goals, clear roles and a sense of accomplishment.
- A campaign is a way to build community power and give ordinary, everyday community members the power to act.
- A campaign allows widespread, broad participation and can help build relationships and tap into a wide range of community voices.